A Little Bit About Us
When five women got together in 2001, their vision was that every animal in the Richmond Upon Thames area should be loved and cared for. Animal Rescue and Care (A.R.C.) has grown from small beginnings to a local charity that has helped over 4,000 animals.
Our priority is to rescue, foster and rehome animals in the Richmond Upon Thames area. We work mainly with cats, rabbits and guinea pigs, but also with dogs and ‘small furries’ such as hamsters and chinchillas.
At A.R.C., we judge our success on the high standard and quality of the care we provide to each individual animal. The animals that come to us are looked after in foster homes by loving, experienced carers until a permanent home is found for them. We do not put animals down unless they are suffering.
Based in Twickenham, A.R.C. is run without any paid staff or premises; keeping costs to a minimum and relying on the support of our members, volunteers and generosity of members of the public. Every pound that is donated or raised through fundraising, goes straight to helping animals in need.
We’re also passionate about providing advice and information to the public about caring for their animals and the importance of neutering. You’ll find us at local events and fairs, meeting pet owners and sharing our knowledge.
All our work is made possible by the generosity of the public – thank you for your support!
The A.R.C. Trustees
- We passionately believe that every animal is entitled to be loved and cared for and live a healthy and happy life
- We believe that euthanasia is only ever an option when an animal has a poor quality of life or if they are a potential threat to other animals or humans
- We are committed to stopping the cycle of unwanted animals and irresponsible breeding, and firmly believe that all animals, where appropriate, must be neutered
- We believe in sharing our knowledge in the community to help encourage responsible pet ownership
- We believe that animals should not be subject to long-term penning.
OUR MAIN MISSION IS SIMPLE; TO FIND LOVING HOMES FOR UNWANTED, HOMELESS OR NEGLECTED ANIMALS IN RICHMOND UPON THAMES AND SURROUNDING AREAS. BUT WHAT WE DO IS SO MUCH MORE THAN THAT.
Whether it’s rescuing animals from cruelty or taking in the hundreds of abandoned ones, we foster and give them the medical and specialist attention they need, including neutering. We look after them until we are able to find approved owners who adopt them into loving, happy homes. And we do this as a non-profit charity run by volunteers and we’re funded purely by donations.
As part of our mission, we offer advice, information and actively raise public awareness about animal welfare. In particular, animal neutering: it’s the only way to stop the cycle of unwanted animals.